bowen foreshore catalina memorial
Bloc Design was commissioned by Whitsunday Regional Council to design and document various building structures within the Foreshore Parklands precinct. Bloc Design worked closely with landscape consultant Tract in developing unique architectural and urban design solutions for a large public site with complex stakeholder requirements. In summary the project featured:
• Catalina Interpretation Centre – providing visitor information about the historic WWII Catalina Flying boats and a War Memorial Wall that commemorate those who served in various armed conflicts. The structure is iconic and allows the visitor a unique ‘cockpit’ experience with curved glass panels depicting the flying boats in their historic site context.
• Bowen Soundshell – a unique multi-purpose structure in the centre of the parklands strip provides an outdoor stage, backstage, service courtyard, ablutions, multi-purpose booths and a pavilion dedicated to the film ‘Australia’ (which was shot on site). The building has additional space and services for a future cafe.
• Various Amenity, BBQ and picnic area structures.
• Retaining most of the existing vegetation.
• Solutions to provide visitor shelter from wind and limit extent of steel corrosion.
• Rainwater harvesting